There are several kinds of trauma
- PTSD from a major event, sometimes called a “Big T Trauma”
- Natural disasters including wars, fires, earthquakes, and other collective experiences
- Abuse or neglect
- Relational trauma from a divorce or breakup, betrayal from a friend or loved one, and difficult relationships
- Feelings of rejection from a parent, feeling like you had to be perfect or a golden child to be accepted
Trauma looks different for everyone
- Nightmares, flashbacks, fears of danger
- Avoiding people or situations that remind you of your trauma
- Fears of failure, rejection, or abandonment
- Feeling unstable in relationships, feeling unable to trust
- Needing to be self sufficient in order to feel safe
You need effective trauma therapy
Trauma therapy helps you respond to yourself with compassion and kindness. Your trauma can be treated effectively with EMDR or with talk therapy depending on the method you prefer. Therapy can help you process your past experiences so you can respond to life the way you want to.
Through therapy, you’ll learn to hold your big and reactive emotions, deal with extreme and damaging behaviors, and manage your fearful and protective thoughts. We’ll explore what’s underneath the thoughts, emotions, and body sensations. Next, we’ll look at disturbing memories that keep your mind and body on alert. Then we’ll discover new positive beliefs that can help you overcome your history. Along the way, you’ll learn skills and gain resources to help you take care of yourself and have new experiences.
How I work with trauma
Weekly sessions will give you the continuous support you need to make meaningful changes for yourself. I like to integrate mindfulness practices into our work to help increase your internal awareness of what’s going on in your mind and body. As we notice what’s going on for you right now, we’ll develop patterns of insight to heal your painful memories and release you from the past.
Whether you choose to move forward with EMDR or Depth therapy, I’ll guide you through the process and provide you with the time, space, and resources you need to be successful. Online therapy for trauma lets you participate in deep work from your own safe and comfortable location.
Are you ready to get started?
If you’re ready to start exploring how your past is holding you back from rich and trusting relationships, click here to schedule a free consultation. To learn more about me before you feel comfortable getting started, click here to read more about how I work.
If you have difficulty talking about your traumatic experiences, EMDR may be a good fit for you. Learn more about how EMDR works for complex trauma here.